Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:42:11 +1030
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@hamcoll.schools.sa.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: Using dump with a DAT

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Wednesday, 24 March 1999 at  9:29:33 +1030, Ian Moore wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to dump to a Seagate CTD4004R-S 4/8Gig DAT drive on a server
> > running 2.2 STABLE & am having problems when the end of the tape is
> > reached. Using -u does not work.
>
> Do you really mean -u?
<snip>

Sorry! no, what I meant to write was -a.

> > I found this in the mailing list archive:

> >> Unfortunately, the tape driver currently returns an I/O error
> >> indication when it hits end of tape.  They're working on it, but it's
> >> more complicated than it appears.
> >>
> >> Greg
> >
> > I'm wondering if this problem has been solved yet?!
>
> Hmm.  It would have helped if you had included the date and the name
> of the sender in your quote,

Here is the header:

Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:43:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jason Hudgins <jason@www.dancooks.com>, Rob Nelson
<rob@mag-net.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> but it appears to have been from me on
> Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:43:28 +1030.  Yes, I'm pretty sure the software
> has changed completely since then.  But ISTR that dump doesn't take
> kindly to end of tape.
>
> > If not, can anyone tell me what values I should use for a 4G DAT tape
> > (120 metres) if I don't use compression -I've tried some of the
> > suggestions given on the mailing list archives, but keep getting
> > 'invalid 'd' (density) value' or 'invalid 'b' (no of blocks per write)
> > value' errors.
> > There seem to be numerous opinions on what values to use & wether to use
> > d & s or b & B parameters & I'm kinda confused.
>
> If you're going to get involved in this kind of guesswork, then -b and
> -B are the way to go, but you'll waste a lot of space if you turn
> compression off, and I'd still go for -a.  What error messages are you
> getting?

When the dump reaches the end of the tape, I get the following:
  DUMP: write error 2310680 blocks into volume 1
  DUMP: fopen on /dev/tty fails: Device not configured
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

--
Ian Moore
Network Administrator