Date:      Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:58:40 +1000
From:      Geoff Roberts <robertsg@westnet.com.au>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Error on FreeBSD Porter's Handbook - Section 5.4.6?

Hi,

I have just been working on a port that uses some patches on FreeBSD 5.4

I read the section "5.4.6 PATCHFILES" at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-distfiles.html

In that section the comment is made:
"If the patch is not relative to the top of the source tree (i.e., WRKSRC)
because it contains some extra pathnames, set PATCH_DIST_STRIP accordingly.
For instance, if all the pathnames in the patch have an extra foozolix-1.0/
in front of the filenames, then set PATCH_DIST_STRIP=-p1."

However this would not work. Looking through /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.ports.mk it
would seem the appropriate variable is: PATCH_STRIP

This variable also seems to work appropriately.

Have I misunderstood the process or could there an error in the documentation.

Kind regards,

Geoff

--
Geoff Roberts