Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 11:16:04 +0000
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
Cc:        "Rick C. Petty" <rick@kris.wpi.edu>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Toshiba Tecra 550 int. modem, addendum II

At 11:51 pm -0400 31/7/98, Gary T. Corcoran wrote:
>[...]
>To make a long story short, forget about it.  The Win95 host driver for
>Mars not only interprets AT commands, it also manages the DSP, writing certain
>values to certain registers at certain times, and implements or controls
>the DSP
>to support all the myriad of standards included in modern modems (e.g. V.42,
>V.42bis, V.8, V.80, etc.) which go beyond the V.34 or K56Flex modulation
>itself.
>All this complexity results in a Win95 driver _binary_ of about 0.5 megabyte
>(see LTMODEM.VXD in \Windows\System).

This may well be the way things are going. In the days when Mac AV had a
68k processor and an onboard DSP, they introduced a thing called a GeoPort.
This is a pod containing just the interface h/w to connect to the line. The
modem code ran on the DSP, and the 68k did the control.

I still use one of these things with a PowerMac; nowadays both the control
*and* the DSP code run on the PPC 604!

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK