Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 11:30:49 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SoftUpdates! Re: Donations.

I want to see Kirk McKusick's softupdates go into the tree soon.  This is
a very significant step in the development of FreeBSD.  We will get higher
performance ffs without integrity compromises.

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/papers/CSE-TR-254-95/

I think these changes in themselves warrant a 3.0 jump.  Giant lock or
subsystem coarse lock SMP and softupdates is probably a good target.

When softupdates are are applied and have stabilized a bit, I'll submit
the first set of VFS_VRELE patches for vop_create, vop_mknod, and
vop_symlink.

This is mostly just grunt work but is a fundamental first step in making
the stacking layers work.  It will clean up ugly hacks like WILLRELE and
make some things a lot easier to get working for file systems like devfs.

It will also prevent VT_TFS-like hacks that third parties must sometime
resort to forcing on us because we didn't have a proper VFS interface to
allow them to manage their own vnodes.

Mike Hancock