Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:39:35 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: software recommendation

fbsd_user wrote:
> I am looking for am application that will simulate a browser and
> allow me to program responses to filling in forms from the internet
> application the browser is accessing.
>
> I have read about this type of thing before and even seen it
> mentioned on this list but at the time I had no interest in it. I
> don't even know what this type of function is called so I can not do
> a successful web search or ports search. I tried the words scraping,
> session capture, and browser session simulation all with no luck.
>
> Does anyone know what this is called or the port name if there is
> one?

If you like Perl at all, take a look at WWW::Mechanize and its
companion modules, e.g.:

./devel/p5-Test-WWW-Mechanize
./devel/p5-Test-WWW-Mechanize-Catalyst
./www/p5-WWW-Mechanize
./www/p5-WWW-Mechanize-FormFiller
./www/p5-WWW-Mechanize-Shell

There are probably (many) other Perl modules that would be of
tremendous usefulness, but WWW-Mechanize is specifically designed
for what you are asking.

http://search.cpan.org/~PETDANCE/WWW-Mechanize-1.18/lib/WWW/Mechanize.pm

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)