Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 1996 20:01:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
Cc:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP glitches

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Robert Nordier wrote:

> Do you -- or does anyone -- happen to know the exact setup to use with
> iij-ppp where addresses on both side are dynamically assigned? (This must
> be quite common, I would have thought.)

I have this situation.  I just modified 'simplesite' and left the
defaults as they are.  Unfortunately, it appears that 'ppp.linkup' isn't
functioning...I have a bunch of annoying routes and try to delete them
wiht it and nothing happens.  I end up su'ing to root, running a script
to delete them, then adding a default route for the connection.  For
example, this is what I get just after connecting:

gdi# netstat -rn
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1          UH          1        0       lo0
128.223.150.166  128.223.150.182    UH          6        0      tun0

So I enter 'route add default 128.223.150.166' and all is well.

> Everything always works OK for the first session. But unfortunately
> neither 'route delete' nor 'route flush' set everything back to the same
> state as before a connection was made.

When I do 'close' in ppp, it deletes the default route just fine.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant