Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:23:28 -0600
From:      "Brian Henning" <b1henning@hotmail.com>
To:        "Axel Simon" <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lockups

----- Original Message -----
From: "Axel Simon" <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk>
To: "Brian Henning" <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Cc: <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 12:09 PM

> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:44:31AM -0600, Brian Henning wrote:
> >
> > I may have a 40 conductor ribbon cable instead of an 80 pin cable.
> > can this really cause this kind of problem or will the drive just run
slower.
> Booting should tell you that you're not running at full speed in that
> case.
>
> > is there anything else that i can do to avoid these errors?
> If the drive makes no clicking noises, then it is probably the cable or
> software. A couple of people complained about Western Digital drives on
> this list, especially with picky IBM hardware: They don't seem to
> implement the faster specifications properly. Maybe you try using the
> drive alone on a cable.
>
> If the drive makes clicking noises then it cannot move the head without
> bumping into dirt particles on the drive's surface. This is a result of a
> bad power supply or overheating. In both cases, safe you data and provide
> proper ventilation to the drive and get a new one eventually.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Axel.

Axel,
Thanks for the input. The hard drive that i am using is the same one that i have
used in my 333 celeron
and i worked fine in that machine. The cable is the cable that i got with my
motherboard. are there diagnositc tools to verify overheating or the power
supply is bad? i have another hard drive that i can try in that machine. it is a
maxtor 80 gig..
thanks,
brian