Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 06:09:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gsutter@pobox.com (Gregory Sutter)
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

> I know this will just stir up trouble in the thread, but...
> if X11 was free software instead of just open source, TOG couldn't have
> changed the license to a semicommercial one.

That's because DEC wouldn't have funded Project Athena, nor would
MIT, which licenses its code under UCB/CMU stlyle license, have
participated in its developement.

X is a Cathedral, to use ESR's terminology.

You can watch the Bazaar all your life and not see Notre Dame rise
slowly but surely over the grubby cloth awnings on the street below.

Some things are simply not possible in a Bazaar model, mostly things
which are long term or require a long term vision.

Feel free to work at changing my mind; the day Rockwell lands a man
on the moon without public funding would be a good time to tell me
"I told you so".  Even PBS needed public funding to recreate a tiny
pyramid.

PS: For all its impressive press, it is very clear to me that the
people giving the most attention to ESR's paper have failed to go
look at the source code of the project it documents.  This is not
to denigrate his efforts, but it ain't no Cathedral...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.