Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2002 19:12:02 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3COM 3c509 "eeprom failed to come ready"

On Saturday 24 August 2002 06:30 pm, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 06:16:48PM -0800, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> >
> > Well, your mileage may vary, but I had exactly the same error message
> > with one of those cards about 3 months ago. Re-running the setup utils
> > fixed it. If my memory serves me correctly, I also disabled PNP-OS in the
> > bios.
>
> I already have PNP-OS disabled in the BIOS,
> (I needed to do this 4 years ago when running Linux.)
>
> This problem seems to only occur with the CURRENT snapshot
> 20020818 which I obtained from current.freebsd.org.
> Do you think if I switch to an earlier CURRENT snapshot
> I may get further along?

I'm not sure about an earlier -current, but I can tell you I'm running one of
those cards with yesterday's -current with no problems. You didn't say which
kernel you're running, but if it's GENERIC it has device ep uncommented. The
only way I could get rid of that eeprom error was to re-run the setup util.
Mine however wasn't hanging the boot it would go on and define the card as
ep1. One thing you might try is putting the card in another slot and see if
it will boot.

Anyone else have this problem with -current?

Beech

      Beech Rintoul - SysAdmin - akbeech@sinbad.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Sinbad Network Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 3101 Penland Parkway #K-38
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99508-1957