Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:12:54 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please explain.

Hi,

Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> timh@tjhawkins.com wrote:
>
> <cut>
> Well, fair enough but it still comes down to if you have a other OS
> which does what you need than use that OS.

SMP support is only one thing to consider.

> But perhaps you require the BSD license for you biz?
> Actually I'm not very knowledged (far from) about design and multithread
> issues however from what I read is that mulitple CPU's is a real pain
> and the one who managed it the best is SUN (only read that - not sure
> about it), but there working 10 years on this issues and get paid for

The main difference is that they live from selling the hardware. If
their operating system would not support their very own hardware up to
the extent, their sales would drop.

Sun's support for multiple CPUs includes also things which are not even
supported by standard x86 hardware. Try to exchange a CPU while your PC
based machine is running.

Erich