Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 00:53:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        bill fiore <dollarbilfjr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help 2.2.1->4.0 upgrade boot problems

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, bill fiore wrote:

> hi,
>
> I created the kernel and mfsroot floppies. all ok
> I boot the kernel floppy. all ok
> I load the mfsroot floppy and delete unused
> drivers (removing CONF entries)
>
> During device probe portion of boot:
>
> I get a fdc direction bit error and a
> cmd 3 error......my floppies are attached to an
> adaptec 1542 controller

I can say most certainly from personal experience that your problem
doesn't lie with the 1542 and floppies, unless you have a device
conflicting with the floppies--you can check in the Adaptec's <ctrl-a>
menu on bootup to be sure, though..

> I get complaint errors that the eeprom on my
> 3com etherlink III is not enabled?

This might be indicative of a device conflict.  If it's worked this way in
the past, though, I doubt that the device conflict suddenly popped up.

> Finally I get a continuous print out of:
>
> dscheck (#md/2): b_bcount 513 is not on a sector
> boundary (csize 512)

Just out of curiosity, have you tried multiple floppies?  Floppies have
been known to screw up before.  Make a couple of sets and try them,
perhaps you just got a bum disk.  Since you have an AHA-1542, have you
considered using a CDROM--the 1542 is good at taking over the boot
process when it sees a bootable CDROM (which I remember every time I
reboot with a bootable CDROM, usually just after I get the "a bootable
CDROM has been..." message).  Of course, this only works when the CD drive
is attached to the 1542 (ie SCSI).

> which continues till I re-boot.
>
> My 4gb drive is split (1gb win98 [ugh], 3bg fbsd
> 2.2.1)
>
> =====
> William F. Fiore Jr. ($bilfjr)  <<<<< N.B. new address
> 88 harris av
> cranston, R.I. 02910 USA
> 401-946-5703 USA EST (voice/vmail)
> 1-877-789-1992 USA (vmail/fax - toll free)
> dollarbilfjr@yahoo.com
> www.geocities.com/dollarbilfjr/dollarbilfjr.html

 Customer:  "I'm running Windows '98"      Tech: "Yes."      Customer:
   "My computer isn't working now."     Tech: "Yes, you said that."