Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:26:58 -0500
From:      Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
To:        tj-fbsd@funbox.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysconfig, or, the SysV vs. BSD init wars

On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 03:54:17PM +0000, tj-fbsd@funbox.demon.co.uk wrote:
> However, I find myself thinking that shell scripts (or a monolithic
> script) are very flexible, easy to alter and to check, and more than
> adequate for the job.  For my part, I don't see the necessity (or, I'm
> afraid, the desirability) for changing from script(s).

The problem with shell scripts is that doing dependency checking
and DAG traversal is difficult (to say the least). There's also no
good way of grouping things that belong together (short of
`linux_exec', `linux_foo', etc.,.). Plus, you have a hard time
turning a shell script into a replacement for init (which is
something that you can do with what I've done).

I wish I could have kept the shell, but it's not really powerful
enough for what I want to do.

--
Brian Cully						<shmit@rcn.com>
Macintosh -- we might not get everything right, but at least we