Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:35:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/31352: Netsaint check_by_ssh: fcntl(0, F_SETFL, O_NONBLOCK): Inappropriate ioctl for device

>Number:         31352
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Netsaint check_by_ssh: fcntl(0, F_SETFL, O_NONBLOCK): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD atleo2.leo.org 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #3: Fri Oct 12 20:46:54 CEST 2001     root@atleo2.leo.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ATLEO2  i386

 - netsaint-0.0.7b6_1, cvsuped and built Oct 15 10:30
 - netsaint-plugins-1.2.9.4, cvsuped and built Oct 15 10:30
 - ssh: OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20010713, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090601f

 This could be more related to ssh, than to netsaint, but it seems to
 occur only if check_by_ssh is used. Unfortunately it is not really
 reproducable. Sometimes (like once a day) all remote checks that use
 ssh fail with that error message:

   fcntl(0, F_SETFL, O_NONBLOCK): Inappropriate ioctl for device

 They produce a warning, but fail 3 times, so no more checks are done, and
 I have to reschedule each check by hand, to get the state changed
 again. Then it works fine again for some hours.
 The problem did not occur before my update to 4.4-STABLE, and OpenSSH 2.9.
 I have to say, that there was ssh 2.9 installed on this system already
 (from the ports) before, but I guess there are differences to the one
 now included in the system.

>How-To-Repeat:
  Tricky: install netsaint and plugins, define a service which is checked
  on a remote machine, it doesn't seem to make difference which ssh
  is used on the remote machine (I've had FreeBSD boxes and Solaris
  with different versions of OpenSSH). Start netsaint and wait until
  you get warnings about the checks failing with the error message above.
>Fix:

  sorry, no idea. Not beeing able to reproduce this problem in a defined
  environment, doesn't help. :(