Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:59:15 GMT
From:      kutulu <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/29963: Configure fails for most kde-2 ports.

>Number:         29963
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Configure fails for most kde-2 ports.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When building any of the kde2 ports (ie, kde2 or it's dependancies like kdelibs2 or kdebase2, the configure process to locate
libXext fails.

The problem results from the fact that the make process is setting the LIBS variable to include /usr/X11R6/lib
(for example) before calling configure.  The configure step to locate X's libraries includes $LIBS in the link command, which
leads configure to beleive that the X libraries are in a standard location (it claims /usr/lib).

However, when the configure step to locate libXext is run, LIBS is temporarily cleared out, removing the -L flag pointing to
the X libraries, and the attempt to locate libXext fails.

>How-To-Repeat:
Attempt to make in kdelibs2.  (kdebase2 also failes, I assume any kde2 package that requires libXext will fail similarly).

>Fix:
Immediate workaround was to make patch, then edit the configure script for any affected packages to force the X libraries to
be found in the correct place.  Example, from kdelibs2:
*** configure.old       Wed Aug 22 14:49:53 2001
--- configure   Wed Aug 22 14:50:05 2001
***************
*** 5,7 ****
  # We can link X programs with no special library path.
! ac_x_libraries=
  else
  # We can link X programs with no special library path.
! ac_x_libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib
  else

An actual fix will probably involve either modifying LIBS as set before running ./configure to not include the X libraries, or
change the autoconf macro to locate libXext so that it saves the -L flag.  Changing the make process for the ports system is a
bit beyond my current skill level. :)