Date:      Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:59:24 +0100
From:      Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
To:        Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Properly installing PHP4 extensions under Apache 1.3.x

Hi again,

Alright, I just found the missing step: I used to have an existing
php.ini file in which the extension_dir directive was not disabled.

Commenting that directive does the trick. :)

So the correct procedure should then be:

1) Update the ports tree using CVSup
2) Build the /usr/ports/lang/php4 port (= 4.3.10 -> make install)
3) Build the /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions port
4) Build several extensions I need (GD, MySQL, session), again, I did do
a make install
5) Comment out the extension_dir directive in php.ini
6) Restart Apache

Cheers!
Olafo