Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:37:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Steve Hodgson <steve@shodgson.org.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voodoo 3500 AGP under FreeBSD

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Steve Hodgson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 21:58:43 GMT
> From: Steve Hodgson <steve@shodgson.org.uk>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Voodoo 3500 AGP under FreeBSD
>
> Sorry to be still hammering on about this problem - I am starting to
> feel a bit dense.
>
> I've tried a few times now to get FreeBSD running a GUI with my Voodoo
> 3500 AGP card.  Thanks to some helpful advice from
> questions@freebsd.org I reckon that I should be able to get things
> running using the tdfx X-server.  Other advice is that if my card ain't
> listed explicitly, it won't work.
>
> Longer term, a carefully-chosen card will be a great solution - at this
> point though I just want to try things out and the number of cards that
> will run BeOS, Linux, FreeBSD and/or Windows (this last reluctantly)
> seems a little limited.  As an aside one of the problems here is that
> BeOS now seems happier with *old* graphics cards (one of the problems
> that got me looking for the ONE OS in the first place).
>
> When I try to run the tdfx driver I am still unable to complete X
> Windows installation successfully so I suspect that it really may be a
> case of having to specify a specific card for a trouble free GUI.
>
> Just as an experiment I stuck on the latest Mandrake 9.0; in half an
> hour and I was up and running Gnome 2.0 with no problems whatsoever
> using a generic Voodoo driver.  Am I being stupid in thinking that this
> is the same XFree86?
>
> I really don't want to go down a Linux route, I've been burned too many
> times there in the past.  Any expertise greatly welcome at this point.
>
> cheers,
>
> Steve Hodgson

As fars as a card that works widely, nVidia provides binary drivers with
3d accelleration for Win32, Linux and BSD for their current cards. My
Geforce2 AGP works great in Linux and BSD.

Just a thought. That Voodoo3 should work fine, though no acdeleration tihs
side of Mesa (software).

JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg