Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:50:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updated if_* attach/detach patches

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:37:43AM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> > I have updated my patches for:
> >     dc pcn rl sf sis sk ste ti tl vr wb xl
> > They have been compile tested but I only have an rl card so I'd appreciate
> > feedback.
> >
> > - xl: add missed error setting in I/O, memory mapping cases
> > - xl: add missing bzero of softc
> > - xl: remove multi-level goto on attach failure
>
> I've tested the xl diff, but only limited internet traffic
> (i.e., cvsup, browsing, ssh).  If high volume traffic is
> needed to testing, I'm not set up to do that.
>
> I haven't seen in problems.

No, the attach/detach routines are only called at boot and shutdown or if
you compile it as a module, load/unload.  In fact, for people who would
like info on how to test it, this would be helpful (replacing the name
with your module of course):

#!/bin/sh
kldload if_xl
kldunload if_xl
sleep .2
exec $0

Crashing or growing memory use might indicate problems.

-Nate