Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 02:49:12 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing file permissions

> You can just test the file attributes...
>
> -d  file exists and is a directory
> -e  file exists
> -f  file exists and is a regular file
> -r  you have read permissions on the file
> -s  file exists and is not empy
> -w  You have write permisions on the file
> -x  You have execute permissions on the file
> -O  You own the file
> -G  Files group IS matches yours
                             ^^^^^ (Note these!)

That is not quite what I want to do. These tests (and their results) apply
to the user/group id of the process conducting the test.

What I'd like to determine is the user/group that owns the file, and what
the three different levels of access (world/group/user) are. In other
words, rather than finding out if the *current* process can access the
file, I'd like to know (in the script) what the full mode of the access
to the file is.

For a human, it is easy enough to read off this information from the `ls -l'
command. To emulate this is in an automated script seems to require a
reasonable amount of text processing - which strikes me as rather kludgy!

Regards,

Mike Kennett