Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:34:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Snob Art Genre <ben@multivac.narcissus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: windows question

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Snob Art Genre wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Tim Cline wrote:
>
> > Hi, I am wanting to switch to FreeBSD. The only thing holding me back is
> > an uncertainty- can you get an emulator or something for FreeBSD to run
> > Microsoft Windows applications? Also, can you run DOS apps, and DOS apps
> > which use DPMI? If you CAN run Windows apps, can you run Windows apps
> > which use NETWORKING, such as ICQ? Thanks!
>
> The development branch of FreeBSD has BSD/OS's doscmd DOS emulator.
> There's also WINE, which can do some Win3.1 emulation, in the ports
> collection.

Wine can do _some_ Win32 stuff I think (provided you have some dlls from
Win31), and it can do windows networking.  There's also another freeware
project (Willow something or other I think).

> I recently got a copy of Caldera's WABI, which is also Win3.1 emulation,
> and I'm going to try to run it under FreeBSD's Linux emulation, since it
> is a Linux app.  Wish me luck.  It says it does not support Windows
> networking.

WABI, while much more polished, doesn't run under 24bpp modes (at least on
Sol x86), and doesn't have any Win32 support whatsoever.

- alex