Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:48:33 +0100
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to protect process from pageout killing

In message <20030325084247.GA17195@dhcp01.pn.xcllnt.net>, Marcel Moolenaar writ
es:

>> To tackle them from behind:
>>
>> Wes has a proposal for #3 which is a per-process flag which says
>> "I'm sacred".  I think that is a sound principle since that is
>> usually exactly what people want:  Do Not Kill This Process.
>>
>> Certain processes already enjoy special protection, pid==1 most
>> notably, this would just be a way to make the same protection
>> available to other processes.  I'm not happy about using the
>> resourcelimit code for booleans, and I don't think the flag
>> should be inherited, but otherwise I'm for the idea.
>
>JFYI: On ia64 there are 12 bits in the ELF header reserved for OS
>specific flags. A very natural way to flag a process as being sacred
>is by flagging the ELF executable. You could use brandelf for that.

Many years ago, we had a local hack so you could specify the nice(2)
that a given program would be executed at (relative to the parent
process) in the a.out file.  This allowed us to keep games open
during the day because we could argue that running at -20 they used
only resources not otherwise claimed.

Other operating systems have much more expressive facilities for
putting attributes on a program.  In some cases this is being held
stronly against them.

I think, but am not sure, that we can now introduce practically any
policy we might like with MAC. (NB: deliberate rwatson-trigger)

How the flags/attributes gets to be set on the wanted subset of
processes is by no means uninteresting, but until something pays
attention to the flag...