Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:38:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Frank Terhaar-Yonkers <fty@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop address acquisition, static/dynamic, home/work

I have a hacked version of the ISC DHCP client that I use to do this for my laptop.
Currently it will "fallback" to the previous config if it gets no DHCP response.
It would be trivial to have a bootup menu that would allow one to select DHCP vs a
list of canned configs at boot up.  I run the ISC DHCP server at home as well ..

- Frank

 >Cc: freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
 >
 >>From the keyboard of Chris Shenton:
 >
 >> I'm tired of manually changing the IP, name, defaultroute, and
 >> resolv.conf when I drag it between home (static IP) and work
 >> (corporate DHCP, I manually assign).  I guess I could build a DHCP
 >> client for the laptop and set up DHCP at home, but was looking for a
 >> simpler solution.
 >
 >Once i write a package called "setnetparms" to do this via a configurable
 >curses menu because i had the very same problem and got tired of it. I'm
 >currently enhancing it and make it fit into 2.2.7 (it was 2.1.7). In case
 >you are interested in testing it, i can put it somewhere for download.
 >
 >hellmuth
 >--
 >Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
 >HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77
 >Oldesloer Strasse 97-99                               Mail  hm [at] hcs.de
 >22457 Hamburg                                         WWW   http://www.hcs.de

Frank Terhaar-Yonkers
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Cat3900 Software Team
7025 Kit Creek Road  PO Box 14987
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina  27709
fty@cisco.com   voice (919)472-2101   FAX (919)472-2940