Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:19:42 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz>
To:        Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I cut and paste from xterm _into_ another program ?

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:16:09 -0800 (PST)
Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using a very vanilla XFree86 installation on fbsd
> 5.3.  I am using ratpoison as my window manager.
>
> If I highlight text in an xterm, it is immediately in
> my buffer, and I can paste it into that xterm, or any
> other xterm.  Further, if I copy text in my web
> browser, I can paste it into all my xterms.
>
> However, I cannot take text that I copied in my xterm
> and paste it into my browser (opera).  Why is this ?
>
> Why can I go in one direction (paste from opera into
> xterm) but not the other (paste from xterm into opera)
> ?
>
> thanks.

There are two different clipboards (buffers):

One is used when you copy with the context menu (Right Click -> Copy) or
(usually) with Ctrl-C. This usually happenes in KDE/GNOME/GTK (etc.)
applications. The way to paste this buffer is with the context menu
(Right Click -> Paste) or (usually) with Ctrl-V.

The other is used when you just select text (like in console, or xterm).
To paste it press the middle mouse button. If you have only two, press
both at the same time.

Try using the middle mouse button (or both if only two). That worked for
me.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Ale