Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 10:56:18 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 and fxp0

>I have a Compaq iPaq with a built-in Intel 10/100 ethernet adapter and
>FreeBSD detects the adapter without any problems.
>
>But I do a ifconfig fxp0, it says that the media is manual. I was
>wondering if there is anyway to force the media and the duplex setting to
>either auto or 100/half?
>
>I get a message when I was going through the system logs:
>
>/kernel: fxp0: warning: unsupported PHY, type = 63, addr = 255
>
>This is what I get when I run ifconfig fxp0:
>
>fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>	inet 209.20.244.233 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 209.20.244.255
>	ether 00:b4:c0:91:00:80
>	media: manual
>	supported media: manual
>

>Thanks in advanced for your help!!!

   It's a bug that was fixed just after the 4.0 release. 4.1 will be out soon,
or you could update to the 4-stable branch now.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Manufacturer of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.