Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:28:48 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS diskless booting (NFS root/swap) broken in -current?

> >Do you have 'options NFS_ROOT' in your kernel config?
>
> Yup, sure do.
>

> >It might help to check the nfs_diskless_valid flag, and maybe dump the
> >nfs_diskless structure just to see whether it's coming in correctly.
> >The family is set by the bootstrap, so if it's not copied, it's not
> >going to work.
>
> It's set to 0 (not valid).

If it's set to zero, then locore.c has not copied the structure in from
low memory.  You might want to be looking at this fragment there:

#ifdef NFS
#ifndef BOOTP_NFSV3
        /*
         * If we have a nfs_diskless structure copy it in
         */
        movl    BI_NFS_DISKLESS(%ebx),%esi
        cmpl    $0,%esi
        je      olddiskboot
        movl    $R(_nfs_diskless),%edi
        movl    $NFSDISKLESS_SIZE,%ecx
        cld
        rep
        movsb
        movl    $R(_nfs_diskless_valid),%edi
        movl    $1,(%edi)
#endif
#endif

The nfs_diskless_valid flag is also fiddled in sys/nfs/bootp_subr.c; a
quick look at the code leaves me a little seasick, but it's not clear
at all that the nfs_diskless structure is properly populated in that
case.