Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:18:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Network Administrator <gbntech@gbn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap problems

Network Administrator <gbntech@gbn.com> types:
> While I continue searching for that elusive consultant, let me ask a
> bit more specifically:
> Can someone tell me where to look for the problem that causes this failure:
> 	swap_pager: out of swap space
> This machine has been running (happily, I thought) for well over a
> year. It crashed with an unknown filesystem error last Friday and
> hasn't been right since.

That's a system-wide problem, but it could be caused by one errant
process. Use top to check and see which processes are chewing up lots
of swap.

> The machine is a Pentium II/300 MHz, 96 MB of RAM, and its swap
> partition is 201 MB. None of the filesystems are at greater than ~50%
> capacity.

The file system size is irrelevant - you're running out of that 201MB
of swap. You might verify that it's all actually being used (the
swapinfo command will do the job).

If swapinfo says you have 201MB of swap in use, and there's nothing
obviously chewing up to much memory, you may simply have outgrown the
machine configuration. In that case, you want to use things like
vmstat (or gkrellm from the ports if you want graphics) to give you a
better idea of what you really need.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.