Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 14:19:57 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        cskinner@bml.ca (Chris K. Skinner)
Cc:        csdayton@midway.uchicago.edu, doc@freebsd.org, support@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 Documentation and Installation of "Everything" to 2.1 Gig drive.

> I dunno if this is the same with FreeBSD?  If there is
> such a thing what is its name?

See file(1).

> directory I think that if I knew more unix and less
> Dos/Windows crap that I could make a program that
> could ask the user the following questions

See dialog(1) - it lets you write some fairly nice looking shell
scripts for doing exactly this kind of thing.  Once you have
your DNS auto-configuration script working, send it to me
and we'll find a way to use it in the global setup tool
Gary's writing. :-)

> Config template A is a setup for simple 5 node LAN
> with tcp/ip.  Config template B is for an internet
> connection on ethernet where the machine being
> configured is the name server for a small domain.

See above. :-) Yes, I daresay that a good 90% of what's in /etc could
be spat out by editors using template files from /usr/share/misc, or
something.  It's even been talked about a fair bit.  It's just that
pesky problem of finding enough bodies which continues to confound us
up to now.. :-)

> [X issues]
>
> [trying to be amusing:..] Whaddya press ta get this
> thing to go?!

You have as part of your X installation a bunch of canned profiles
which configure your .xinitrc, .emacs, .Xdefaults,
.fvwmrc25-2001-Open_The_Pod_Bay_Doors_Hal and so on files.  Once
you've got the user into a predicable window manager you can do all
kinds of nutty things with their default mouse button bindings and
startup applications list.

> Where is the database that links the file type header codes
> with the installed applications that use these data/document
> files?  Where is the mechanism for

Bleah!  Lose the database!  I want a fully object-oriented filesystem
with properties, like the one you get with OS/2! :-)

> It would be nice if the How-to section of the documentation
> for Dos users was renamed to ...For Dos and MS-Windows Users
> and expanded to answer a bunch of my questions...

I await your diffs with bright anticipation.. :-)

> Then there is kerberosIV...  The directory is there but
> no files therein?  I understand about the

The thing's been moved over to "eBones"

> I wanna know what to type into the computer to make it go!

I regret to say that "Computers with Dick and Jane" is not yet in
print. :-) The best you'll get for now is "Installing & Running
FreeBSD", which is a whole lot better than nothing!

> When I do a xstart, where do I go from there?  A login and
> a couple of xterm windows pop up along with an analog clock.

You want the desktop distribution of FreeBSD if you need that kind of
hand-holding.  Yes, believe it or not, there will be one of those
coming out in the near future with all kinds of commercial desktop
thingies on it.

> Can ya recommend any good X-window beginner to "expert-
> developer" kinda books?  I speak C++!

Get the TCL/Tk book, I recommend.  Tk will give you the fastest
bootstrap into X of any freely available toolkit I know (without
sacrificing a lot of power in the process).

					Jordan