Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:20:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        y-carden@uniandes.edu.co
Cc:        jlemon@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KNOTE()

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 y-carden@uniandes.edu.co wrote:
> Dear Jonathan
>
> I want ask a favor to you. I have try to get help
> in hackers list, but it was unsuccessful.
>
> Days ago, I asked :
>
> > I need pass asynchronously data from kernel
> > to a userland process, include a quantity variable of
> > data (void *opaque).

Why are you trying to push so much into the kernel?
Rethink the problem you are trying to solve.

All you basically want is a timer that you can use to
schedule events.  Don't manage the data in the kernel;
keep it in userspace where it (seems to me, anyways)
belongs.  All the kernel needs to do is provide a timing
mechanism.  In userspace, you handle the timing events
and call the functions that need to be called.

You can use setitimer(2) and handle the signal.  You
can use nanosleep, poll, kevent, etc and wait for the
next scheduled timing event.  If you want to do some
kernel hacking, you can implement timer_create(2) and
friends.

--
Dan Eischen