Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:25:14 -0600
From:      Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
To:        Josh Thomas <jdt2101@ksu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: out of inodes on /var

Josh Thomas wrote:

>  I just went through and deleted some unnecessary /var files, but is this
> just a temporary fix?
>
>   pid 19572 (sendmail), uid 0 on /var: out of inodes

df -i will give you statistics on how many inodes you have left on
your different partitions.  You need an inode to point to a file, so
if you have a lot of files you'll consume your available inodes.

> Also, I disabled sendmail is /etc/rc.conf, yet it keeps apparently
> running?

'ps -ax  | grep sendmail' will tell you if it's running.  You can kill
it if it is.  /etc/crontab has a few default entries that will use
sendmail to send root system information, but they don't launch it as
a daemon.