Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 1995 11:38:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        wsantee@wsantee.oz.net (Wes Santee)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCVT losing sync?

>From the keyboard of Wes Santee:

> Every once-in-a-while when I'm switching back and forth between
> X-Windows on ttyv3, and my text terminals on ttyv0-ttyv2, I'll switch
> to a text terminal and the screen will turn into a bunch of horizontal
> lines.  Makes it look like the screen is in perpetual strikeout mode
> and all the characters have disappeared.  I try switching back to X,
> then back to each of the text screens, but it doesn't change.  I try
> using scon to reset the screen, no go.
>
> I know commands are still working because I can see the cursor move
> accordingly as I type, I just can't see what I'm typing.  To date, the
> only solution has been to pop over to an xterm and shutdown the
> system...not the preferred method.
>
> Anybody know a way to tell PCVT to reset itself?

It is not pcvt who does the switch but the X server. The knowledge about
what to do to switch from a virtual screen running an X server to a virtual
screen running a character terminal and vice versa is located in the X server.
Same for the data structures. Since pcvt does not know ANYTHING about the
particular video mode the X server is using (and with programmable video clock
generators the situation gets even more worse), it is not able to reset
the video mode.

It looks like the X server has a problem with your chipset/clockgenerator or
your hardware has a timing problem, perhaps you should get in contact with
the Xfree86 team.

Just curious, what type/brand of video card do you have ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe
                                              (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nstall BSD ?