Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:11:25 +0100
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, judgea@indigo.ie, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
Subject:   Re: Vendor specific ASCQ SCSI errors in 2.2-STABLE

[Replying to a few messages at once.]

Justin> Definitely trim that cable.  Just be sure to clean the wires
Justin> after you make the cut as most are braided and tend to
Justin> fray/short the other lines after you cut them.

I delayed replying until I saw what shortening the cable did.  The
system made nearly two days before producing that odd error.  I guess
I'll have to try canister swapping.

Wilko> Any chance you can try things without the canisters?

A lot of work alright, and I'm not sure I want to do that on a
production machine.  Bear in mind that I've never seen the same
problem on the other bus (same config --- 4 drives in canisters).
Both busses are pretty busy (two CCD stripes).

I guess it might be a broken canister or a dodgy ribbon cable.
I'll have to do some swapping, since I can't think of any better way
to narrow down which canister.  What's the likelihood that the
disk producing the error is in the faulty canister?

Wilko> An active terminator on the end of the bus instead of a
Wilko> drive-internal terminator in a canister is also worthwile.

Couldn't easily get ribbon cables with the correct number of
connectors for this.  In any case, the Quantum Atlas II claims to do
active termination (controlled by a single jumper rather than a
restistor pack).

Wilko> How much stublength does each canister introduce?

Quiet a bit.  Maybe 20cm round trip.

Wilko> Are these canisters designed with Ultra SCSI speeds in mind?

The booklet doesn't mention Ultra, so I'd guess no.
--
Alan Judge					Phone: +353-1-6046901
Indigo Internet Services			Fax:   +353-1-6046948