Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:00:02 -0600
From:      Ken <kvgu@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD & Prtftpd Strangeness

Hello:

I recently installed the Proftpd port on a box running FreeBSD 3.2.  I
don't run inetd on this box, so started up Proftpd in standalone mode.  I
made a quick ftp connection from another box and all seemed fine.  Then I
used ftpshut to try and kill proftpd, but it never did, and I had to kill
it manually by pid.  Now, however, everytime I try to connect I get a 500
Error about the server going down at whatever time I last tried to use
ftpshut.  It seems all ftpshut does is write to shutmsg, without affecting
the daemon?

So it still reports having gone down at the last time I tried ftpshut,
despite the daemon being up and running.  I have same set up on another box
and it works fine. I just kill Proftpd manually on that one though...

Any thoughts??

Thanks- Ken

Windows 98: n.
	useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions
	and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit
        company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.