Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:18:53 -0400
From:      Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FW: DNS Question

> Date: Fri=2C 23 Oct 2009 17:17:48 +0200
> From: lconrad@Go2France.com
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: DNS Question
>=20
> >
> >All true=2C and I did not do a very good job of explaining it. My issue=
=20
> >was that we have requests to use a CNAME for the domain record. Such as=
=20
> >this.
> >
> >example.com CNAME otherdomain.com
> >www.example.com CNAME otherdomain.com
> >
> >I was taught this was not good form
>=20
> worse=2C it's illegal.

how is this illegal? if you are residing your domain on a hosting service=
=2C this makes sense to me. Granted its bad form and should have an A recor=
d to the host for the main domain record=2C but if i had control over "othe=
rdomain.com" and not "example.com" and had to change the IP address=2C "exa=
mple.com" would be dead until i was able to reach the owner of that domain =
and have them change their DNS info.=20
=20
=20
> =2C but allowed. I can deal with it.=20
> >But what of having a SOA record for example.com=2C no A or CNAME record=
=20
> >for the TLD example.com=2C only hosts such as www=2C ns1=2C ftp=2C etc.
> >
> >I tried it an it seems to work fine=2C but doesn't look proper to me. Th=
en=20
> >again I remember when CNAME were considered evil.
>=20
> CNAMEs are still evil=2C unless=20
> 1) no other solution exists and=20
> 2) the user knows how to use CNAMEs (rare).
>=20
> Len
>=20

there is nothing that says you HAVE to have your tld labled in DNS. you wou=
ld just run into issues if someone types http://example.com into their web =
browser and not get a result in DNS. =20

=20
to clarify on CNAME's a bit better. CNAME's are nothing more than DNS alias=
es. the reason you do not want to overuse them is that you could potentiall=
y create a loop if you are not careful
=20
www.site1.com     CNAME    www.host1.com.
www.host1.com    CNAME    www.site1.com.
=20
syntactically=2C this is correct but would cause an infinite loop until a t=
imeout occurred on your computer.
=20
also you want to limit how many weird names you get associated to one box. =
it makes sense if you want www.example.com to point to your web server=2C w=
hich you may have officially called "srvWeb"=2C but looking at things like =
a mail server=2C would you rather only have the entry:
=20
mail.example.com    CNAME    srvMail.example.com.
=20
or have to edit this:
=20
pop3.example.com    CNAME    srvMail.example.com.
smtp.example.com    CNAME    srvMail.example.com.
imap.example.com    CNAME    srvMail.example.com.
=20
The other interesting side would be reverse DNS lookups. Only one record wo=
uld be returned=2C and most likely would be the original A record. A nice e=
xample of this is doing a basic "ping -a www.yahoo.com" which you get back =
that it is resolving "www-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com".

 		 	   		  =