Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:56:16 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        Fabrice <FabriceMarchant@free.fr>
Subject:   Re: Loading module for sound chip SiS 7102

Nikolas Britton wrote:

>> Fabrice wrote:
>>
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> Debian user just have installed FreeBSD 5.3.
>>> Seems great !
>>>
>>> But I my sound chip do not properly work.
>>>
>>> I tried to :
>>>
>>> kldload snd_...
>>>
>>> pilots one by one until I found snd_ich pilot that made some sound
>>> when KDE 3.3 launch
>>> (and suppress the error about /dev/dsp )
>>>
>>> But the sound works 2 seconds only and becomes then silently stuck !
>>>
>>> After loading pilot :
>>> kldload snd_ich
>>>
>>> the Sis chip seems to be seen. I get the following msg :
>>>
>>> pcm0: SiS 7012 port 0xd800-0xd63f, 0xdc00-0xdcff     IRQ 11 at dev
>>> 2.7 on PCI 0
>>>     ICH0: (GIANT_LOCKED)
>>>
>>> This SiS sound chip properly works on Debian linux on the same machine.
>>> But I remember that it was hard to find the right pilot with Linux...
>>>
>>> Can you give me any advice, please ?
>>>

>> Yea, find a better translation service... Put these in
>> /boot/loader.conf:
>> sound_load="YES"
>> snd_driver_load="YES"
>> hw.snd.maxautovchans=4
>>
>> After that reboot and grep dmesg (dmesg |grep -i foo) for anything
>> related to sound; snd, pcm, AC97, etc. Then you could check sndstat
>> and see what it says (cat /dev/sndstat) but it should say about the
>> same as dmesg (your are doing this to find out which drivers to
>> load). The next step now would be to test the sound system at the
>> console, make and install the ports cplay and splay (both are under
>> /usr/ports/audio) then using cplay* play some mp3s.  If you can hear
>> music then everything's good to go (if you still can't hear music in
>> X then the problem is with X or your music player, etc.) but if you
>> still can't hear music then post this question to freebsd questions
>> mailing list (You could also try changing the IRQ it uses or set
>> PnP_OS=no in the BIOS, it should be set to this anyways for
>> FreeBSD!... in general, play with the BIOS settings).
>>
>> *cplay's config file, you shouldn't need it but to cover all
>> bases..., copy and paste it to your home directory, ".cplayrc":
>>
>> PLAYERS = [
>>    FrameOffsetPlayer("ogg123 -q -v -k %d %s", "\.ogg$"),
>>    FrameOffsetPlayer("splay -f -k %d %s", "(^http://|\.mp[123]$)",
>> 38.28),
>>    FrameOffsetPlayer("mpg123 -q -v -k %d %s",
>> "(^http://|\.mp[123]$)", 38.28),
>>    FrameOffsetPlayer("mpg321 -q -v -k %d %s",
>> "(^http://|\.mp[123]$)", 38.28),
>>    TimeOffsetPlayer("madplay -v --no-tty-control
>> --display-time=remaining -s %d %s", "\.mp[123]$"),
>>    NoOffsetPlayer("mikmod -q -p0 %s",
>> "\.(mod|xm|fm|s3m|med|col|669|it|mtm)$"),
>>    NoOffsetPlayer("xmp -q %s",
>> "\.(mod|xm|fm|s3m|med|col|669|it|mtm|stm)$"),
>>    NoOffsetPlayer("play %s", "\.(aiff|au|cdr|mp3|ogg|wav)$"),
>>    NoOffsetPlayer("speexdec %s", "\.spx$")
>>    ]
>>
>> I wish they'd get email working again (list server was blacklisted),
> [...]
Also, here is the FreeBSD handbook in french:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/fr_FR.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/fr_FR.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/multimedia.html

googles translation service sucks, this is what I get when I converted
it to french and then back into english:
Moreover, here the handbook of French FreeBSD

:-)