Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:11:17 -0400
From:      Jerry <gesbbb@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: incorrect info in mysql docs

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:21:11 +0000
Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com> replied:

>I just noticed this at
>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/automatic-start.html
>
>On FreeBSD, startup scripts generally should go
>in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/. The rc(8) manual page states that scripts in
>this directory are executed only if their basename matches the *.sh
>shell file name pattern. Any other files or directories present within
>the directory are silently ignored. In other words, on FreeBSD, you
>should install the mysql.server script
>as /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql.server.sh to enable automatic startup.
>
>That's not actually right is it? My mysql is started by
>/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server. rc(8) says *.sh is for older style
>startup scripts or for scripts that are to be read into the current
>shell.

A start-up script is install automatically when using the ports system.
You do need to activate it via /etc/rc.conf however. Perhaps MySQL
could be prodded to post a reference to this on their website. It might
help to avoid confusion.

--
Jerry
gesbbb@yahoo.com

Death is Nature's way of recycling human beings.