Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:24:55 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Booting a SuperMicro Superserver

On Aug 12, 2014, at 12:09 PM, Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com> =
wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:16 PM, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> =
wrote:
>=20
>> On Aug 12, 2014, at 10:32 AM, Barney Cordoba =
<barney_cordoba@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>=20
>>> A continuing issue (with 9.1 previously and now 10) is that FreeBSD =
occasionally (or always) seems to boot from the 2nd installed drive =
rather than the first. I'd be happy to debug this, but I have no idea if =
it's bootcode or a BIOS issue. Supermicro pleads innocent, but their =
bios guys are hard to work with and fairly arrogant if you don't =
specifically isolate something.
>>>=20
>>> The scenario occurs when ada0 is upgraded and has an incompatible =
kernel with other code on drive ada1.  (note that ada1 is a backup of =
the pre-upgrade ada0, so it's fstab points to ada0 for mount points). =
The system will boot and then modules will fail to load. It loads the =
kernel from ada1 and then mounts partitions from ada0; old kernel and =
newer modules.
>>>=20
>>> The problem is resolved by popping the 2nd drive. So there is =
nothing wrong with ada0 to cause it to bounce to ada1.
>>>=20
>>> My question: What would cause the system to boot from ada1 instead =
of ada0? Bios or Bootcode?
>>=20
>> BIOS, most likely. If the disk controller in question is onboard you =
should be able to specify which disk(s) and what order they will be =
booted from. If not, you'll need to just say <disk controller> in the =
BIOS boot order then go to the controllers BIOS to say which disk(s) to =
boot from and in what order. I have recent experience with a SuperMicro =
box and an LSI controller; the latter allows you to specify a (b)oot =
drive and an (a)lternate. Yes, b comes before a. :)
>=20
> The bios only gives you one choice for "HDD". You can't select one of =
the 4 drives to boot from. You can specify USB or CD or HDD, but Not =
HDD2 or HDD3.

There may be a separate option controlling "hard drive boot order", =
and/or there may be a completely separate BIOS program for your drive =
controller with its own hotkey.

JN