Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 1996 08:49:54 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound card, etc. for new system

I'm building a new system from scratch for home.  I've been running
FreeBSD for a while now on another system at work, and plan to run
(initially) FreeBSD 2.2-960130-SNAP on the new box as it comes up.
I'm running this version now on the machine at work, and can will use
it to build "custom" kernels for the install process, if required.

>From watching the FreeBSD mailing lists and look through archives, the
Gravis Ultrasound MAX seems to be pretty popular.  Lately, though, it
seems that the new UltraSound Plug&Play would be a good investment if
it actually works..

I spent a few hours plowing through USENET newsgroups reading all
about the Plug&Play version of the board and what it can do, etc.  I
think that I'm more confused now than before.  So, is this thing known
to work on FreeBSD systems?

If the GUS P&P version works, I think that I want/need the non-"pro"
version and add my own pair of 1MB SIMMs rather than buying the "pro"
version with 512K of memory.  The goal is to be able to support Full
Duplex audio for MBONE tools.  Incidental game playing is somewhat
lower on the list..

By the way, the whole poposed system configuration so far is:

  Tyan Titan III, 133MHz pentium, 512K Pipeline burst cache, 32MB 60ns EDO RAM
  #9 Motion 771, PCI, 4MB VRAM
  Tyan Yorktown 53C825-based SCSI controller
  LinkSys DC21040-AA based PCI ethernet controller
  Gravis Ultrasound Plug & Play, with 2MB DRAM
  ~2GB SCSI disk (as yet undecided)
  6X SCSI CDROM (probably the NEC)
  ALPS glidepoint keyboard/"mouse"

Based on looking at the code, I *think* that the LinkSys ethernet
board will work with the existing if_de.c driver.  It can be had for
about $85 at Computer City.  Confirmation of compatiblity would be
nice, though..

Thanks for the advice,

Louis Mamakos