Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:53:04 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA tags bug fix committed to -releng4

Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de> writes:

> I'm very sorry to say that the bug fix doesn't work for me :-(
>
> I use an IBM DTLA 307045 on a VIA 86C686 controller (EpoX 8KTA2 MoBo).
>
> My check is a 'tar cvf /dev/null /disk/ports', that is copying the
> ports tree to /dev/null. During that operation the following messages
> came up:
>
> ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ad0: invalidating queued requests
> ad0: trying fallback to PIO mode
> ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: invalidating queued requests
> done
>
> .. as known before.
>
> BTW: I verified ata-all.c...
>
> src/sys/dev/ata/ata-all.c,v 1.50.2.37 2002/06/19 08:30:48

Did the fix make it into your kernel?

Can you "rm ata-all.o" in your kernel compile directory, do "make &&
make reinstall" again?

When I hacked around in ata-disk.c to see if my WDC drive would work
with tagged queueing(*), I found that somehow, ata-disk.c was NOT
properly recompiled without the prior rm. It had worked before, but I'm
not sure what's up here. May have been my fault (mount -uo noatime),
whatever.

I can however tell that the "rm" cured my problem. Would you be so kind
as to try the rm and kernel rebuild and see if that solves your problem?

(*) WDC AC420400D, said to be an IBM DJNA OEM that has a broken tags
implementation. While it looks ok at boot-up but experiencing strange
crashes later on in operation that go away without tags. IBM is said to
not offer firmware updates for these drives, and all DJNA are reported
to have a broken tags implementation by IBM themselves, I am told. WDC
is said to be totally unresponsive when it comes to tags.

--
Matthias Andree