Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 22:44:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai)
Cc:        ache@nagual.pp.ru (Andrey A. Chernov), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there any way to use ATAPI CD-R?

It seems Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> -On [19991209 06:58], Andrey A. Chernov (ache@nagual.pp.ru) wrote:
> >Do you have a plan to merge ATAPI as part of SCSI (CAM) interface as
> >NetBSD already does? It will solve problems with all SCSI-only CD* soft
> >automatically.
>
> I thought this was the original idea back then when work started on the
> new drivers.

No, the idea was to get all the lowlevel ata/atapi stuff sorted out and
layered so that it was maintainable and extendable. You could add a
CAM top to the atapisubsystem instead of the "native" atapi drivers,
it would be more work for the disks (lots more).
My priority is still to get all the lowlevel stuff stabilized, and to get
support for various controller HW, including top notch performance.

Also CAM has to be de-SCSIfied before any of this is possible, and frankly
I dont se anybody having the time/knowledge to do that for the foreseable
future...

-Søren