Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:35:32 -0500
From:      Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tripwire was Re: append-only devices for logging

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 10:46:51PM -0800, Roger Marquis wrote:
| James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystr.RWSystems.net> wrote:
| > This is a *great* idea! I had set the BIOS to boot w/o floppy and written
| > the DB to a floppy I changed to R/O by hand. This has a limit of 1.44MB

| Except when the floppy has bad sectors, and a large percent of floppys
| do, and sends the drive into an I/O loop that can't be fixed w/o a
| reboot.

It seems to me that thats a bug that ought to be fixed, that a bad
floppy can require a reboot.

| > how do you protect tripwire from modification?
|
| We keep the entire tripwire directory encrypted when not in use.

Encryption is not authentication.  I'd urge that you look to an
authentication algorithm, such as md5-hmac or pgp signing.  I
personally keep the tw databases on floppy; its cheaper than cd-rom,
and I've yet to be bitten by a needed reboot.  (Floppies are cheaper
because they're reusable; burn a CD, make some changes, burn a new
cd.)

Adam

					               -Hume