Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:53:41 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
To:        flygt@sr.se
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The new release and ports

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Gunnar Flygt wrote:

> How come that several ports now (in the 3.0-RELEASE) are looking for a
> lib that obviously has to do with kerberos? I don't want kerberos, so I
> haven't installed it.
>
> The error message goes:
>
> gunnar@voyager$ xv
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libkrb.so.3" not found
>
> and I guess that libkrb.so.3 referres to kerberos? Or?
>
> There are others that have put similar questions without answer. I guess
> someone must know.

Yes, yes, yes, I write letters to via send-pr, I write to
questions@freebsd.org, no responses!!!!!!!!!!!1

Here is one of my previous letters.

Hello,

I have several problems with ports and packages
in new 3.0 relase.

1) Several packages for X, such as fvwm2, xanim, xautolock,
xv, xli do not run on my system, because they require
libkrb.so, and I don't have Kerberos installed.
This problems is solved by using the corresponding
versions of those programs from ports and compiling
them. However, I am interesting in whether such
a situation will ever change.

2) Several ports from FreeBSD/ports-3.0 don't compile:
they make gives a message this ports is broken for ELF and exit.
I have no solution to this problem. The examples
of ports I can't compile are:
1) gcl-2.2.2 GNU Common Lisp
2) kdelibs-1.0 Support libraries for the KDE integrated X11 desktop

Grigoriy Strokin
surprised FreeBSD user.

P.S. Now I now how to deal with those broken packages:
just symlink any valid sharead lib to libkrb and
libdes:

 cd /usr/lib; ln -s libipx.so.2 libkrb.so.3; ln -s libipx.so.2 libdes.so.3

=== Grigoriy Strokin, Lomonosov University (MGU), Moscow ===
=== contact info: http://isabase.philol.msu.ru/~grg/     ===