Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 14:07:28 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp, proff@suburbia.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SLAB stuff, and applications to current net code (fwd)

>>    The allocator in BSD is designed to be as fast as possible and trades
>> space efficiency for performance. I'm very skeptical that a SLAB allocator
>> would be any faster than the current allocation algorithm, although it
>> would likely be more space efficient.
>
>Are you looking at the TLB overhead for SLAB?

   See my other reply regarding ordering of allocations. Memory that was
recently freed is re-used before memory that was freed long ago, which should
have both better cache effects and less TLB overhead (than the original
BSD allocator). This should compare well to the slab allocator, but it
would perhaps be interesting to actually do a formal comparison.

-DG

David Greenman