Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 1996 18:12:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers), doc@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Documenters)
Subject:   What printed documentation do we need?

I'm currently in the process of formatting the FreeBSD man pages for
printing, and it's evident that there's a lot of stuff missing.  In
particular:

1.  For the most part, the user's guide stuff supplied with the system
    is so out-of-date that it's not worth printing.  This stuff is
    available from O'Reilly already, including a number of files we're
    not allowed to distribute.

2.  There's a *lot* of documentation.  The man pages alone come to
    over 3000 pages.

3.  There's a lot of stuff in source form.  At a guess, I'd say that
    it would be easy enough to produce 10,000 pages of supplementary
    documentation from the other sources.  I don't think this is a
    particularly Good Idea.

So, the question: which other documentation should be in paper form?
For a gut feel, I'd say we could handle another 1500 to 2000 pages.

Greg