Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:50:32 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Archives of the list and SOLVED: followups

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 11:44:45PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-03-11 14:55, parv wrote:
> > in message <20020311175440.GD721@hades.hell.gr>,
> > wrote Giorgos Keramidas thusly...
> > >
> > > What do you all think of making it a habbit to followup to posts
> > > that do indeed contain the answer with a post whose subject has
> > > "SOLVED: " prepended?
> >
> > that is good only if there are no further replies to the message
> > marked "solved".  otherwise the problem of archives search for
> > relevant messages remain the same.
>
> Or if the original poster makes a summary of some sort, and posts at the
> end of it all what solutions she tried, and which way the problem was
> solved.  But I'm probably expecting too much here...
>
> Thanks for commenting,

I think the principle of it is excellent, but whether people will do it
is another question. I do find it a bit of a pain when a question comes
up, and other people, including myself, send an answer, or an idea, and
you never hear if that resolved it or not. I think even if the problem
is solved because the asker just made a typo or something, it is good
not to leave the question dangling. Occasionally I ask questions that
get no answers :(, but if I solve it I *try* to remember to post a reply
to my own message to say it is solved.

The only way for such a habit to become engrained is for people to start
doing it and to have it suggested in the guidelines. Then when new people
join the list they may see a "convention" in place and will follow it.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>