Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:09:47 -0700
From:      Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2

On Sun, 08 Aug 1999, Barry Goldman wrote:
> >%_Hello. I am thinking of purchasing FreeBSD 3.2. and need some assistance.
>Does FreeBSD 3.2 come with a window manager once it's installed by default if
>you select to install an X server? Does FreeBSD work well on laptops?

FreeBSD defaults to 'twm', a very simple, primitive window manager that comes
with the X11 distribution. However, there is a large number of window managers
in the "packages" directory that you can install. My personal favorite is KDE.

You can use /stand/sysinstall to access the "packages" directories (two of the
CD-ROMs have a "packages" directory on them), or you can manually mount the
CD-ROM, cd to the proper directory, and do a "pkg_add" on the package you want.
Either way gets you the result you want.  Oh, a third option is o access the
whole packages system via FTP (using /stand/sysinstall), this will give you a
list of all packages available, not just a list of the ones on the particular
CD-ROM. Then you can either write them down and install them off your CD-ROM,
or if you have a high speed Internet connection you can go ahead and install
via FTP.

--
Eric Lee Green    http://members.tripod.com/e_l_green
  mail: e_l_green@hotmail.com