Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 17:59:48 -0400
From:      Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
To:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Burstable T1

What I understand from the docco is:
*    Burstable T1 is a T1
*    It comes in basic contracts as:
        * 0 - 128 Kbps sustained use
        * 128 - 156 Kbps sustained use
        * 256 - 384 Kbps sustained use
        * 384 - 512 Kbps sustained use
        * 512 - Kbps sustained use

Calculation is done in such a way that the sustained use is being determined. They
take the highest 5% of the top and charge you for what you used.

I discussed a simple example with them. Suppose I have 1 hour a day 1.5 Mbps load
and the rest of the day nothing. This would means a sustained use of 1.5 Mbps / 24
hours for day is 64 Kbps per hour which would fall half way the 0 - 128 Kbps
sustained use. The guy I talked with actually got a technical guy on the phone who
confirmed that this example indeed would be covered by the first scale.

Thus in basic they charge you for the "usage" not for the available capacity. Also,
when assigned to the first scale, service has to overrun for two months in a row
before they change to the next scale.
Once going over 512 Kbps it's better to change to a "Price Protected T1".

What I actually meant to ask is does any one of you have experience with Burstable
T1 and how it turns out. Did you stay in the scale assigned or turned it out to be
uncontrolable?

Don't worry, be Kneppie!
Jan

Jan Knepper