Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 01:24:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger - Personal Account" <babbleon@mercury.interpath.com>
To:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install issues

I recently installed FreeBSD on a ProStar 9400, which has a CD-ROM, but one
which, alas, neither FreeBSD or Linux can talk to and which the @#$!
manufacturer cannot tell me anything about, so I had to install it by
copying from cdrom to DOS partition, and then installing from the DOS
partition.  Some issues came up . . .

Version: 2.1.0

 - I could not get pkg_add to work, nor could I get the packages added
   from sysinstall.  I ended up writing my own pkg extractor in csh,
   which worked just fine.  The problem, as Dave Rivers (local evangalist)
   managed to diagnose later, was that the scripts depend on the file
   names ending in ".tar.gz" which, of course, they don't do when they
   come from a dos partition.

 - It was very hard to figure out much about the above failure because
   lots of the doc is in HTML, but lynx is a package, so of course I
   couldn't get it until I could get the packages, so I couldn't read
   the doc until I had already read it, as it were.

 - The FAQ on SLIP and PPP has a link to the outside world, which is
   more than a bit annoying when one is reading it in order to figure
   out how to connect to the outside world, similar to the above problem.

 - Finally, I had trouble with the partition editor; I was trying to first
   use (a) to get a default.  Then I wanted to make the /usr partition a
   little bigger at the expense of the swap partition (which it wanted to
   make 43M by default for some reason).  So I deleted the swap and /usr
   partitions, allocated a swap of 32M, and then tried to allocate /usr
   partition as big as the remaining space, and I couldn't.  I ended up
   just living with the defaults, but wonder why my approach didn't cut
   it.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger, the Man from Babble-On.

"Someday I'll get around to importing all the cool quotes from my other
account's .sig files."      http://mercury.interpath.com/~babbleon