Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:16:41 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        tobi@physcip.uni-stuttgart.de
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: early hangup causing exorbitant telecom fees

From the keyboard of Tobias Ernst:

> Could you please tell me, what was happening here (see below)? This
> went on for 14 hours and caused me about 2300 DM telecom fees

Welcome to the club! :-( I'm very sorry to hear this.

First of all, with regard to the subject: this has nothing to do with
"early hangup" it even looks like it has nothing to do with the ISDN
part of i4b at all.

> charge at least 0.12 DM per connect here). I have configured isdnd with
> autodial and an idle timeout of 60 seconds, and it has worked for
> months now, so why on earth to I get a *local* disconnect after just
> one second here?

I guess you are using some sort of PPP. I guess that your machine tried
to reach the remote machine and somehow the login/authorization failed.
The PPP layer then tried to reach the remote end again and again.

> This is an i4b bug, isn't it?

From what i see it is not a bug in the i4b ISDN code. In case you are using
sppp, you might have been hit by the lcp-loop bug.

> Why does it say "local
> dissconnect / normal call cleareanc" when actually there must have been
> some error?

This are messages from the ISDN part of i4b. The PPP layer above it seemed
to have closed the line and this is no error for the ISDN part. In fact
they don't know each other and this is what it is meant to be.

> And do you see any chance that I could argue the Telekom into not
> having to  pay this abhorrent sum?

I have heard from similar cases, that it might be that the Telecom will
have mercy. They never had mercy with me, anyway.

I would not even think about telling them that you are running something
unapproved like i4b on your side ....

> (The remote site is an Ascend router
> run *by the Telekom* for our University, so if it is an error on the
> remote site, this could help a lot)

IIRC the sppp loop bug was seen with Ascends.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47-77