Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 17:10:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Steven Young <dreamer@freelow.ninsei.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Big drive on old machine.

  [ apologies if you folks have already seen this once - I sent it before
my authorization had come back from majordomo, so I'm not sure if it went
through ]

  Hi there.  I've recently done the unthinkable and purchased a new hard
drive, a 6.48GB Fujitsu.  However, it is in an old 486 machine whose BIOS
is too aged to deal with large drives.  FreeBSD is unable to recognize the
drive at all unless I set the jumpers on the drive to "Legacy mode", in
which case only 2.1GB of the drive is recognized, by the BIOS or FreeBSD.
Can anyone tell me how to get FreeBSD to recognize the rest of the drive?
I couldn't find anything in the Handbook/FAQ.

  Thanks for your help!