Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:45:44 -0800
From:      "Adam Lofstedt" <adaml@visimation.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Redirecting root's email

I am having trouble redirecting root's email to an external email
account.  This is a 4.7-Release box with not very modifications done to
the standard installation.

I have tried creating a .forward file and placing it in /root with my
external email address in the file.  No luck.

I tried editing /etc/aliases and changed the line:
#root    : me@my.domain
	to:
root     : adaml@visimation.com

and then I ran the newaliases command.  Still no luck.

I think it has something to do with name resolution, but I'm not sure
what's going on.  In /etc/hosts I have the following:

127.0.0.1          localhost.visimation.com localhost
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    forcefield.visimation.com forcefield
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    forcefield.visimation.com.

In /etc/resolv.conf I have this:
Domain	visimation.com
Nameserver  10.0.0.x

When I look at /var/spool/clientmqueue, it is full of messages.  Here is
a snippet of one:

****************************
V6
T1041606452
K1041638852
N19
P1651680
I116/131076/293
MDeferred: Operation timed out with localhost.visimation.com.
Frs
$_localhost
$r
$slocalhost
${daemon_flags}c u
SMAILER-DAEMON
MDeferred: Operation timed out with localhost.visimation.com.
C:root
rRFC822; root@forcefield.visimation.com
RPF:root
H?P?Return-Path: <=81g>
H??Received: from localhost (localhost)
	by forcefield.visimation.com (8.12.6/8.12.6/Submit) id
h03F7WAs006196;
	Fri, 3 Jan 2003 07:07:32 -0800 (PST)
H?D?Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 07:07:32 -0800 (PST)
H?F?From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
H?x?Full-Name: Mail Delivery Subsystem
H?M?Message-Id: <200301031507.h03F7WAs006196@forcefield.visimation.com>
H??To: root
H??MIME-Version: 1.0
H??Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=3Ddelivery-status;
	boundary=3D"h03F7WAs006196.1041606452/forcefield.visimation.com"
H??Subject: Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours
H??Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (warning-timeout)
.