Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:03:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FW: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha swtch.s

A similar fix to the i386 fixed a number of problems that phk was seeing with
the timecounter as well as performance problems.  There is a chance that this
will fix some machines that hang during the SCSI/ATA device probes.  Also, I am
currently working on getting kernels booting on all archs with WITNESS turned
on (yes, I haven't gone into hiding).  On the alpha the kernel panics because
it tries to acquire the malloc mutex when interrupts are disabled during
vfsinit().  No spin mutex is held, so that isn't the problem.  On the i386,
interrupts are enabled at this point, and they should be on the alpha
(interrupts are enabled during SI_SUB_CONFIGURE and should stay full on except
for within spin mutexes from then on), so it looks like the alpha is disabling
interrupts somewhere during the bootup.  This may also point to the hangs some
people are seeing (on hte PC164's for example).

-----FW: <200011150148.RAA57989@freefall.freebsd.org>-----